I hope you’ve all stocked up on some flour, milk and eggs for this morning! Today is Shrove Tuesday, the last day before Lent; the 40 days traditionally associated with fasting season. If you’re planning on giving up one of these ingredients during Lent, I would suggest you get flipping to avoid the temptation during! Maybe even try and beat Britain’s record of 349 flips in two minutes?
Here are some popular variations of the addictive crepes:
- Chocolate, peanut butter and banana – Nutella, Snickers or Hershey’s?
- Bacon and maple syrup
- Lemon and sugar
- Cream cheese spinach or smoked salmon
- White chocolate and raspberries
- Blueberries and whipped cream
- Mint chocolate chip ice cream and peppermint leaves
Healthy(ish) extra toppings:
- Something more: granola, cinnamon, coconut flakes
- Creams: ice cream, Greek yoghurt, whipped cream
- Fruits: cherries, jams, strawberries, avocado (great with dark chocolate)
Just to make sure you all end up with a pancake to arrange these toppings on, here’s a few pointers on flipping: use a non-stick pan. Then, when one side of the pancake is cooked and slides around when you give it a shake, tip the pancake to the edge of the pan (away from yourself) and… the rest is up to you.